The first signs of precious metals minting by the Austrian monarchy occured more than 800 years ago, in 1194 AD, by Duke Leopold V, then reigning monarch of Austria. Duke Leopold V had received 12 tonnes of silver bullion from Richard the Lionheart of Englnd as part of settlement from the Crusades. Austria's monarch decided to make silver coins from the bullion.
However, the 'Austrian Mint' as it is recognised today, was not officially formed until aproximately 200 years later. The mint moved around to various cities, but has been located in central Vienna for more than 200 years. Over the years, coins have been manufactured by the mint using various techniques, including stamping, casting, rolling and pressing.
Today, the mint is one of Europes most prominent precious metals Mints, and certainly within the Eurozone. In fact, the Austrian Philharmonic coin series, issued by the Vienna Mint, is the only precious metals coin issued with a legal tender value in Euros.
Today, the Vienna Mint has tremendous capacity, with the ability to produce silver coins at a rate of 750 per minute. The mint is responsible for manufacturing both blanks and coins to many different countries. The mint is also responsible for manufacturing all Euro currency issued by Austria.
The Austrian Mint is owned by the Austrian National Bank.